ISPE CEUs: 1.5
Type: Classroom Training Course
Process Validation in Biotechnology Manufacturing (T32)
The inherent complexity and uncertainty of biotechnology make developing and validating bioprocesses for manufacturing proteins and biopharmaceuticals very difficult. Understanding and using FDA's Process Validation Guideline is critical to establishing and maintaining control of complex processes, as well as achieving regulatory approval of new products.
This classroom course is designed to provide a clear understanding of the regulatory, scientific, and engineering tools required to successfully develop and validate bioprocesses. In addition, the course identifies the long list of activities required to validate biopharmaceutical processes.
Topics include a comprehensive strategy to process validation; a review of important biotechnology manufacturing processes, and the regulatory requirements for their validation.
In addition to classroom lectures, participants will take part in several interactive exercises, solve group problems, and participate in class discussions to understand the underlying principles behind Process Validation.
This is an advanced course. Participants should have a basic understanding of commissioning, qualification and validation and basic familiarity with biotechnology manufacturing processes and unit operations.
- The evolving definition of Process Validation
- Quality of Information and its significance
- Good Manufacturing Practices
- Q8 Pharmaceutical Development
- Definition of Design Space
- Attributes and parameters
- USFDA's New Process Validation Guidelines
- The new validation paradigm
- Quality by Design (QbD) concepts and their application
- Manufacturing Sciences - Validation tools
- Design Space concepts
- Experimental models
- Overview of DOE Methods
- Mathematical models
- PAT - Process & Product Control
- Risk Analysis - ICH Q9
- Product Definition - CQA
- Activities required for Process Validation
- Process Master Plan elements
- Cell Bank validation
- Viral clearance validation
- Conformance lots
- Process Verification
- SPC tools for verification
- Legacy products
- Validation of Bioprocess Unit Operations
- Fermentation & Cell Culture
- Harvest & Recovery
- Tangential Flow Filtration (TFF)
- Course Quiz
This course includes a pre-recorded Webinar that provides a review of the basics prior to the classroom course. Access information will be provided via email one week prior to the start of the training event.
Webinar Learning Objectives
- Understand the importance of process validation as a means of minimizing the concerns related to biotechnology processes and effectively deal with the inherent uncertainties associated with biotech manufacturing.
- Review the basic concepts behind process validation.
- Define and explain a framework for structuring process validation activities for new pharmaceuticals.
- Identify and describe many of the tools used to execute the activities required to validate both the process and unit operations in a manufacturing facility.
Take Back to Your Job
- Develop and execute validation master plans and validation protocols
- Understand and use FDA's current Process Validation Guidelines
- Successfully run conformance lots for process qualification
- Define key validation activities for biopharmaceutical process development and manufacturing
- Apply strategies and fundamental approaches for process validation of upstream and downstream processes for clinical and commercial manufacturing
- Discuss validation documentation requirements
Attendance Suggested For
- Process development engineers, validation personnel, manufacturing supervisors and managers, quality assurance specialists, and management personnel.
- Senior manufacturing and engineering managers who want to understand the regulatory and scientific requirements associated with process validation.
- Other professionals with commissioning, qualification, and validation responsibilities who need an understanding of process validation for biotechnology manufacturing.
Community of Practice (COP)
This training course is of particular interest to existing and future members of the ISPE Biotechnology and Process/Product Development Community of Practice (COP).
4 June 2020 - 5 June 2020Boston, MA United StatesDaily Schedule
Daily Schedule at a Glance 07:00 – 08:30 Registration Open 08:30 – 17:00 Training Course 10:30 – 11:00 Refreshment Break 12:00 – 13:00 Lunch 15:00 – 15:30 Refreshment BreakInstructors
Mail or Fax Registration
Not paying by credit card? Use the registration form to pay by mail or by fax.
Group Discount Rate
Bring your team to the ISPE 2020 Biopharmaceutical Manufacturing Conference
- 3 - 5 participants - Save 10%
- 6 - or more participants - Save 20%
Group discount applies to Member/Nonmember rate only. To qualify, all registrant information must be submitted at the same time. Registrations that arrive later will NOT be eligible for the group discount. Cannot be combined with other offers. To register as a group, please contact ISPE by telephone, +1-813-960-2105 or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org.