ISPE Student and Emerging Leader Hackathon
The ISPE International Hackathons are events for recent graduates and students. The main objective of a Hackathon is to divulge knowledge, in an innovative situation, on the trending topics of the pharmaceutical sector, and to provide and promote networking opportunities between students, recent graduates, and industry professionals.
2022 ISPE International Emerging Leader Hackathon
29 – 30 October 2022
The 2022 ISPE International Emerging Leader Hackathon will be held the weekend before the 2022 ISPE Annual Meeting & Expo in Orlando, FL, USA at the Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center. The theme of this year’s Hackathon is Cell & Gene Therapy.
How does it work?
The students and recent graduates will be divided into multidisciplinary teams. Each team will be tasked with analyzing a problem statement, acting as a consultant group hired by Genentech to help the company solve an issue, with the goal of pitching it to a panel of expert judges at the culmination of the Hackathon.
At the end of the two days, each team will present to a group of judges and industry leaders on Sunday. The judges will evaluate the presentations, provide feedback to the teams, and identify the best solution. The winning team will be announced during the ISPE Membership Meeting and Awards Lunch.
2022 ISPE Pharma 4.0™ Emerging Leader Hackathon
5 - 6 December 2022
Will be held before the ISPE Pharma 4.0™ and Annex 1 Conference in Vienna, Austria, EU. The Hackathon will take place at Takeda Pharmaceuticals, Orth (bus transfer from conference hotel in Vienna included in the event schedule).
How does it work?
ISPE Pharma 4.0™ Hackathons typically span over the course of two days. Participants get together in groups and work on specific problem statements. During the intensive sessions they are supported by senior industry coaches. The innovative outcomes and potential technical solutions are presented on the second day. A jury evaluates the results, provides feedback, and awards the team with the best solution.
The theme of the ISPE Pharma 4.0™ Hackathon will be A Hands-on Pharma 4.0 Blueprint Manufacturing Exercise Where Digital and Quality Matters.
The ISPE Pharma 4.0™ Hackathon setup ensures a hands-on and live experience by working with a real cell-line process. The different work streams are driven by priorities in the manufacturing and business environment. Each work steam is supported by several selected industry partners. The Hackathon aims to develop a manufacturing blueprint considering the needs and possibilities of Pharma 4.0.
The planned workstream are:
- System and Data Architecture
- Operations and Workflows
- Shop Floor Integration
- Quality and Validation
- Simulation und Data Analytics
Who Is Eligible for Student Membership?
Individuals enrolled full-time at a college, university, or other educational institutions are eligible for Student Membership with proof of status. We realize circumstances occur when an individual may not be enrolled full-time as a student, however, if the primary intention of the individual is education, student membership is allowed.
How to Join
To join, complete an online membership application or fax/mail a Membership Application with payment. Immediately after payment is accepted, students must complete the process by providing proof of their student status; any of the methods listed below are acceptable:
- Current semester schedule showing number of credits
- Transcript (official or unofficial) with number of current credits
- University letter stating "student" status
- University Web site page indicating the date and "student" status
- Valid and current Student ID card
The proof of student status can be faxed, emailed as an attachment, or mailed to ISPE's Member Services.
Students residing in an Emerging Economy country receive a discount on dues by paying US $10 or €10 through the local ISPE Affiliate or Chapter. Please contact the local ISPE Affiliate/Chapter in your area for complete details.
What Comes After Graduation?
Existing Student Members may extend their Student Membership for one year following graduation. Exceptional educational programs, unique networking opportunities, and the promise of developing professional relationships with ISPE Members prove to be invaluable tools when it comes to landing a job. Finding a job often is about "who you know" and ISPE offers students access to a vast network of potential employers.
- Students are invited to join the ISPE Emerging Leaders Community of Practice (CoP). Join in discussions and review documents from the file library. You can also ask questions of ELs and Recent Graduates and obtain their perspective on a wide array of topics and issues. Find out how to join.
- Student Success Stories
- What Comes After Graduation
Each Student Chapter is sponsored by its local ISPE Affiliate or Chapter, which provides valuable support in the form of Industry Advisors to mentor students.
An ISPE Student Chapter brings the following benefits to your university:
- Access to the latest technology and industry trends from professionals around the world
- Opportunities to develop collaborative student projects between academia and industry professionals
- Opportunities to partner with Student Chapters in other countries for global networking and information exchange
- ISPE honorary membership for Faculty Advisors
- Complimentary copies of ISPE technical publications for the university library
- Association with ISPE and its collaborations with key regulatory bodies from around the world, such as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare (MHLW), the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), World Health Organization (WHO), European Agency for the Evaluation of Medicinal Products (EMEA), and the International Conference on Harmonization (ICH)
Find more information for Student Chapters by browsing the Student Chapter Resources.
Check with your university or local Affiliate or Chapter for more information, or send a message to ISPE at https://ispe.org/contact-us.
University Biopharmaceutical Engineering and Related Curriculums
There are numerous colleges and universities that have undergraduate and graduate programs in Biopharmaceutical Engineering and Biomanufacturing, as well as other related curriculums. Some of these, many of which are home to ISPE Student Chapters, are here:
- 2018 PME Brochure - Stevens Institute of Technology
- Student Majors
- The future of pharmaceutical engineering
- University programs for ISPE.org
- The Nation Needs a Comprehensive Pharmaceutical Engineering Education and Research System
For assistance identifying your local Student Chapter and to get answers to your questions about ISPE Membership and its' many benefits, contact:
* Nations are grouped in tiers based on World Bank's system for classifying national economies by income per capita. Tier 1 corresponds to the World Bank's list of high income nations and Tier 2 the upper middle income nations. Tier 3 includes all nations whose economies do not yet reach the Tier 2 level. To learn more about this system see World Bank's country classifications. The number next to each country on the list below represents its Tier. Use the chart above to determine ISPE membership dues in your country.
*** The U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control prohibits ISPE from offering membership in Cuba and Sudan. ISPE does not have an OFAC license to do business in Iraq, Iran, or the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea.)
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Canary Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Cook Island
- Czech Republic
- Falkland Islands
- Faroe Islands
- French Guiana
- French Polynesia
- Hong Kong
- Korea, Republic Of
- New Zealand
- Saudi Arabia
- Slovak Republic
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Virgin Islands
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Costa Rica
- Cuba ***
- Dominican Republic
- Equatorial Guinea
- Iran ***
- Iraq ***
- Saint Vincent
- Santa Lucia
- South Africa
- Burkina Faso
- Cambodia (Kampuchea)
- Central African Republic
- El Salvador
- Ivory Coast
- New Guinea
- Papua New Guinea
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- Sri Lanka
- Sudan ***
- West Bank and Gaza
- Western Samoa